Monday, August 3, 2009

Updates, July 27th-31st

Well, the first week of school is over and I made it through. I moved into my dorm on Sunday and I really like it so far. I have met a few girls and everyone seems really nice.

The process of registering for classes has been incredibly complicated. There is a huge lacking of communication between departments on this campus and I've spent quite a lot of time running from place to place and talking to many different people trying to get things sorted out. When I finally got it all sorted I registered for Anthropology, History, Linguistics, and Ethnomusicology.

The classes are all interesting so far, although in linguistics we're discussing English grammar, which isn't exactly riveting but not too bad. Ethnomusicology is going to be very cool. This week we learned how to play a Nigerian Shantu (a kind of tube shaped instrument that is played as a type of percussion. We also had a woman come to class who is Xhosa and plays two box instruments, the Uhadi and Rhube. Its really interesting to be learning about the indigenous music of this region.

On Wednesday I was introduced to Rhodes Interleague Rugby (which is like our intramural sports). The teams have games every Wednesday and the whole school comes out to watch. Many of them also get uproariously drunk, which makes for an interesting night.

This weekend we are planning to go to Addo Elephant National Park and so I'm hoping to see some great exotic animals!

No comments:

Post a Comment