Saturday, October 10, 2009

Assignment #2

What did you assume before you left that you are not finding in your host-country, host-culture and/or host family and friends? Why did you make those assumptions?


In all of our pre-departure meetings, the one thing that was stressed was to be prepared, but not to have expectations about our pending experience. I thought I had done pretty well in this area before I arrived in Grahamstown. I hadn't made any conscious assumptions about what life in South Africa would be like. Unfortunately, after being here for about a month I started to realize just how many assumptions I had unconsciously made.


First, I assumed that Grahamstown would be a lot bigger and have a lot more going on than it actually does. I think I made this assumption because of the tour guides and websites I read pre-departure. They emphasized Grahamstown's many museums, beautiful architecture and proclaiming it the "festival capital of Africa". These emphases led me to the assumption that Grahamstown would be a quaint, touristy town with lots to because of the many festivals. In reality, Grahamstown has one main arts festival that was hosted in early July before I arrived. Other than that it’s a sleepy little town that completely shuts down on Sundays and gains most of its population numbers from the 8 township extensions that lie just beyond its city limits.


The second assumption I had is that life here would be drastically different from my life in the U.S., both physically and socially. I think this assumption came from a stereotypical national geographic image I had in my head. Although I knew before coming that South Africa was far more modern and economically stable than other countries in Africa, I never completely let go of the image of barefoot people, cooking outdoors, thatched roofs, etc. While I knew I wouldn't completely encounter this rural picture, I assumed the general idea of residing in a developing country would be very salient.


While I do have contact with the impoverished side of South Africa on a regular basis when I volunteer in the townships, for the most part my daily life has many similarities to the one I carry on in the United States. I live in a dorm with all the modern conveniences: running water, electricity, a kitchen with a microwave and fridge, wireless internet and cable tv. My professors use power point during their lectures which take place in large lecture rooms. There are supermarkets within a 5 minute walk from my dorm that are a lot like Safeway and Winco. There's even a KFC in town.


The student life culture is very similar as well, which completely surprised me. I expected to be exposed to new types of music and social pastimes. They listen to American pop music, they're favorite being "I've got a feelin" by Black Eyed Peas and they're favorite pass time is drinking and dancing at local pubs. Students also watch all of the popular American tv shows like LOST, Grey's Anatomy, and The Office.


All of these similarities often make me forget that I am even in a foreign country. Its an odd sensation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie,

    My name is Hayley and I work at the Language Learning Center at Willamette. We have really enjoyed reading your blods and learning from you experiences abroad --- and would therefor like to invite you to connect with us through skype at our LLC Open house. The event will be fairly informal but what we were hoping is that you would be able to 'stop by' and say hello even for a minute just to connect with students who are preparing to go abroad.

    I have sent you an email as well with the specific details, however the meeting will be NOV 10th between 3-6pm.

    Please respond to llc@willamette.edu with a specific time slot that works best for you if you think you would be interested in participating.
    Thanks
    LLC Staff

    ReplyDelete